A pretty solid consensus exists within the plastic surgery community that mothers are not only one of the largest demographics for cosmetic surgery, but that they are often the most satisfied with the results. This trend has been attributed, in large part, to the popularity of the “Mommy Makeover” surgery – a surgery that helps postpartum women return their bodies to their previous, sexy selves.
Nobody is ever surprised to discover that a woman’s body goes through some pretty drastic changes during pregnancy: a bigger stomach, enlarged breasts and weight in the extremities are pretty standard fare when it comes to the nine months leading up to labor. But what actually does surprise some people is how difficult – if not impossible – it is for women to regain their slender figure. Many new mothers are under the impression that exercise and a healthy diet will have them back to where they’d like to be within a matter of months. While this approach will help them shed some pregnancy weight, it will do little to reverse the effects of pregnancy on their skin and bust. Sometimes more extreme measures need to be taken to ensure a trim body after having a child.
The Mommy Makeover: A Sexy Solution for New Moms
This is why the Mommy Makeover is performed by thousands of plastic surgeons around the country: women need to find their way back to their former selves, and a good cosmetic surgeon is just the person to help them do it. Whereas plastic surgery conventionally addresses a single part of the body, the Mommy Makeover combines several plastic surgeries that can all address each of the woman’s unique bodily concerns; plastic surgeons administer multiple procedures in a single surgery to efficiently minimize recovery time and give the woman the most comprehensive makeover possible.
As with any surgery, there are many things that should be taken into consideration before you jump on the surgeon’s table. However, the Mommy Makeover is one of the most popular surgical procedures currently performed in plastic surgeons’ offices, and therefore provides a service that many, many women are extremely grateful for. To make sure that you’re fully prepared for your mommy makeover, here are six things to consider before going under the knife.
What to Consider Before a Mommy Makeover
- There will be recovery time: Since the Mommy Makeover always features some kind of combination of a tummy tuck, liposuction and a breast procedure, there is a considerable amount of recovery time that needs to be honored if you are to enjoy a healthy new body. As a mother, you know that you often feel obligated to be everywhere at once; this is one time when you really need to put your responsibilities aside and designate some time for a proper recovery. This might be the time when Dad swoops in to take some of the child-rearing burden so that you can get your beauty rest.
- You will have to talk to your kids: Children might be young, but you can always expect them to surprise you with how observant they are. They will be able to detect that something is different, so prepare what you are going to tell them ahead of time. Telling them that mommy is getting “abdominoplasty and periareolar breast augmentation” is not an option, so try and devise how you are going to let them know that “mommy is going to the doctor and will need some rest”. Not the most pressing concern, but something to be prepared for.
- Be verbal about your goals: While your plastic surgeon’s guidance should be what directs you toward your final decision, don’t be afraid to vocalize any of your concerns or requests for your procedure – after all, it is your body. If you are including breast surgery in your package, be sure to think of a few things like what size implant do you want? What type of implant do you want? Do you even need implants at all? Decide whether you want liposuction in addition to your tummy tuck. These are all important decisions, so be sure to include your spouse on the surgery discussion. You want to end up with a solution that is satisfactory for everyone, but especially for you!
- Emotions: Having multiple procedures performed at once definitely amplifies the way that your body responds to the trauma of surgery. Additionally, you are going to be on a constant supply of some strong medication to mitigate the pain during your recovery. Needless to say, your body is going to be offering you some pretty erratic emotional behavior. This is totally normal, and very reasonable if you consider what your body will be going through, but be sure to prepare your family for when you, well, aren’t quite yourself.
- Work to keep your body: Just because you’re getting trim quickly doesn’t mean that you can ease up on the exercise regimen. The point of the Mommy Makeover is to give women a huge head start in getting their bodies back, but it doesn’t run the entire race for you. Be sure to adopt more healthy and active habits so that you can get the absolute most out of your new, knockout body.
- Don’t let negativity affect you: The Mommy Makeover is an excellent procedure that has helped many women boost their confidence and lead healthy, happy postpartum lives. Nevertheless, this and all kinds of plastic surgery can sometimes feel like taboos in our culture. There are people who still stigmatize cosmetic surgery patients without ever investigating the facts behind the field. Millions of women are intensely grateful for what this remarkable procedure did for their bodies, and they are proud to be better versions of themselves. Don’t let negativity impact how you view plastic surgery – know that this is an excellent decision that will increase your confidence, and can even help you communicate a more positive body image to your loved ones.
While taking these precautions, don’t forget to allow yourself a little bit of excitement about your new body. Cosmetic surgery is quite literally the “gift that keeps on giving”, since your new body will improve your motherly spirits, and give you back that characteristic maternal glow. Stronger self-esteem can enable you to inject positivity in your family dynamic, and can help you enjoy the beauty of parenting.