Once you have kids, the magic of Halloween seems to fall at the waist side. Let’s bring that magic back and get our nostalgia on in a classy, DIY way that will you help get your groove back. Check out these amazing costume ideas that your girlfriends will appreciate.
1. Liv Tyler in Empire Records: This movie is classic and spring boarded Liv into 90s icon status. All you need is a center part, plaid skirt, “Doc”-style boots, and a blue sweater. There was no one cooler than “Corey Mason” with her red-lip and her sick style.
2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: This show practically defined 90s style. Sarah Michelle Gellar was a trendsetter and a badass in this role. Recreate her classic look with pleather leggings, a black tank and a burgundy button-down. The necessary piece that makes this costume is a stake. And don’t forget the 90’s voluminous hair with highlights. This can be easily replicated with a wig on amazon.
3. Daria: This Cartoon was game-changing for so many of us 80’s babies. Daria’s cool, “I don’t care” attitude helped to shape many of our adolescence. She was rebellious, uncool, and nonchalant about it. It truly helped mold me into who I am, and being able to own my “uncool”. To recreate this, you need a green army-style jacket, round glasses, a pleated skirt, and combat boots. Brown hair helps of course, but a wig works just fine.
4. Rachel Green: The most identifiable “Rachel Green” donned the choppy layered hair. I suggest her coffee house apron over a black skirt with panty hose and a baby tee. There are many outfit ideas on Google given that her character was such a trendsetter in the 90s.
5. Kelly or Brenda from Beverly Hills 90210- Grab those mom jeans and pick your favorite short sleeved button up to tie up. Add some clip in bangs, dangly earrings and a thick belt with a wide buckle. For more aestheticism, hit up your local second-hand store to nail the early 90s looks.
6. Cher from Clueless- This costume can easily be googled and found on many costume sites. Be prepared to throw on a blonde wig and say “as-if” all night. Cher was everything to most adolescent and teen girls in the 90s. She is and always will a style icon in her own right.
7. 1999 Britney- This is the “Oops, I did it again” Britney. The version of her that made her instantly recognizable across the globe. A pleated skirt with a cardigan over a tied up white button up is easy to replicate. Throw in some pigtail braids and bangs, and this costume is nailed. In my opinion, this was the greatest Britney.
8. Alanis Morrisette- She was the biggest thing post the grunge-era in the 90s. “Isn’t it ironic” still makes most 80s babies start screaming along with the track. Rock a long wavy brown wig with overalls and a baby tee. Pair it all with Docs, and you have the look down. And don’t forget to be a little angsty.
Halloween will always hold a special place in any former-party-girl-turned-mom’s heart. Keep the fun going and choose your favorite character from the 90s. It’s always fun to add a little cosplay to your suburban life.