We are all on the search for the best products to give us that healthy glow but how many of you have thought to simply look right in your own kitchen for a product that can both improve your skin as well as your mind. I’m talking about good ole Olive Oil. For hundreds of years olive oil has been used for endless beauty, health, and cooking needs. Here are 20 unexpected ways you can use olive oil in your daily life.
Olive Oil for Your Beauty Needs
- It Can Give Your Skin a Youthful Glow. Olive oil can give your skin a supple glow as well as keep it looking young and moisturized because it is full of mono-saturated fatty acids and antioxidants that work to restore any lost moisture without clogging up your pores. You can reap the benefits of olive oil for your skin by simply using a dime-sized amount like you would a regular moisturizer and applying it to your skin. You should experiment with different amounts until you find the perfect amount for your skin.
- Use it as a soak. You can add a couple teaspoons of olive oil to your bath and automatically have a mini-spa in your bathroom. It will leave your skin feeling soft and nourished without you having to add any additional moisturizer.
- Fight frizzy hair. If your having a huge flyaway hair day you can take a dab of olive oil and smooth it over your problem areas and watch as your hair becomes a shiny, smooth beauty.
- Replace your shaving cream. Olive oil moisturizes your skin and acts as a lubricant when you are shaving making it simple and easy to run the blade over your skin.
- Remove eye makeup. Since many makeup products are oil-based olive oil is perfect for removing eye makeup because the saying “like dissolves like” is very true. The only thing that can remove an oil-based product is another oil. Easily remove your eye makeup by putting olive oil on a cotton ball and just wiping your makeup off. You’ll be amazed with how easy it is.
- Strengthen your nails. Soaking your nails in olive oil for 10 minutes once or twice a week will leave you with shiny healthier nails that suffer less from cracks, splits or hang nails.
- Get rid of under eye bags. Adding a dab of olive oil to your eyes before bed and in the morning can restore the suppleness to your eyes and help get rid of under eye bags.
- Deep condition your hair. Olive oil can help restore the health to your hair and make it less frizzy. You can add it to any deep conditioner of your choice or use it alone. Using heat can help it penetrate your hair deeper and increase the shine of your hair.
Olive Oil for Your Health
- Olive oil can help with depression. If you have been feeling down in the dumps or suffer from mood swings olive oil can help. In a study at the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria in Spain people who suffered from depression and added olive oil to their overall diet saw an improvement of their mood over time compared to those who had no olive oil in their diet. You can incorporate olive oil in your diet by simply cooking your foods in it or pouring a little bit of olive oil over your food at the end of the day.
- Can improve your energy. Adding olive oil to your diet will help you feel more energized and healthier. Think of it like a lubricant for your body simply helping every part of your body run more smoothly.
- Can reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease. There are tons of medical studies that show how beneficial to your heart olive oil is. It helps reduce inflammation which is the biggest culprit for heart disease issues.
- It can make you smarter. Who doesn’t love a beautiful mind? Studies have shown that adding virgin olive oil to your diet can help prevent brain degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s.
- Makes you happier. A healthy lifestyle is a happy lifestyle and olive oil works to help you feel and be healthier leading to happier days. Olive oil is full of good fats and helps to lower your cholesterol so you will not only look great you will feel great on the inside leading to a happier life.
Olive Oil for Your Lifestyle
- Fix a squeaky door. A few drops of olive oil can silence the squeakiest door without you having to use a product that contains harsh chemicals that could affect you negatively in the long run.
- Free that stuck zipper. We’ve all had that moment where our jeans just won’t cooperate and we can’t get that stubborn zipper to just work. You can easily remedy that with a little dab of olive oil.
- Fix white marks on your shoes. When you have well used shoes like rain boots they can develop a chalky appearance after a few uses. Get rid of any white marks by rubbing a little olive oil on it and wiping any excess off. It will both remove any white marks and make it look brand new.
- Remove paint from your skin and hair. If your recent home improvement project left you covered in paint you can simply apply some olive oil to the area and wipe it off easily.
- Clean your kitchen. A quick wipe down with olive oil will leave your stainless steel appliances shiny again and help prevent any water marks from showing up in the future.
- Get rid of grease on your hands. Mixing olive oil with salt or sugar will create an instant hand scrub that can remove even the most stubborn grease leaving your hands softer and clean. To use: mix olive oil with salt or sugar and rub all over your hands vigorously then wash the solution off with soap and water.
- Polish your furniture. Restore the luster of your furniture by whipping up your own homemade furniture polish with olive oil as the main ingredient. Mix 2 parts olive oil with 1 part lemon juice or white vinegar in a spray bottle, shake it up and spray it on your furniture. After a minute or two wipe the solution off and reveal beautiful, shiny furniture.
Having been used for centuries there is no doubt that olive oil has healing properties as well as practical purposes in your every day life. It is very rich in vitamins, minerals and fatty acids and is perfect for those who have sensitive skin. Rich in vitamin E and A, olive oil works to prevent skin aging, nourish and rejuvenate your skin as well as reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. So go ahead and grab some olive oil out of your kitchen and discover all the ways you can use it without any food being involved.