Everyone needs a weekend to relax, and just settle in with something to binge-watch. The following are my top suggestions to leave you laughing, crying, terrified, and invested. Give yourself something to talk about at the water-cooler Monday by checking out these awesome series’ that are currently trending.
1. Workin’ moms- If you want to feel like you’re surrounded by friends talking about relatable life challenges, you owe this to yourself. The cast has incredible comedic timing that’s leads us through each dramatic storyline with ease. This show relentlessly reveals the truth about trying to find that perfect balance between business success and motherly success. The realness that each character portray is hysterical. Moms, give yourself a break and binge this series.
2. In the Dark- This show offers a new perspective on a murder mystery with other plotlines intertwined. Give this show the character development required for the first episode, and you will be hooked. I was yelling at the T.V. and covering my eyes by the finale. I am so invested in every single character, that it will crush me if there isn’t a second season.
3. IZombie- Possibly the most underrated network show that got a Netflix deal. This show not only captures the sci-fi fans, it offers so much to anyone that loved network shows from the early 2000’s. It provides the perfect balance between everyone that was obsessed with “The O.C.” and people that are obsessed with “The Walking Dead”. The actors reel you in with charisma, a sense of justice, and intermittent humor. It’s wonderfully written and perfectly cast. There is a reason for the cult following. 4. Glow- The take on modern feminism in a past-tense environment is great. If this is all fiction, I choose to believe it. These girls are funny, and real, and outspoken way before it was socially acceptable according to the time they are depicting and I am truly hoping it’s real. This show is feminist-inspo on all levels. Allison Brie’s character is a warrior for all of us.
5. Schitt’s Creek- This show has everything. The lead actors are beyond amazing. I am obsessed with every single one of them and truly believe they all need Emmys. The writing and comedic timing is game changing here. This show will leave you laughing, crying, and oh-so-satisfied with the character growth. If you haven’t watched this show, do yourself a favor. In my opinion, this show is possibly one of the only shows that even has a good pilot.
6. Slasher- This show is specifically for fans of horror. It’s basically the Canadian version of American Horror Story in regards to each season completing an entire storyline, however they focus more on the storyline and less of the shock-value. Season one also has vibes of the original Halloween movie. If you want to get in the spirit of Halloween, this will be very satisfying.
7. 13 Reasons Why-This is number 7 because season one was terrible. I refused to watch any episodes past that for a period of time. Season 2 however, will get you emotionally involved with the characters. There are heroes, and villains, and it’s all in the shades of gray that leave you thinking about what the “right” thing even is. While you may not be invested in the main characters, you will absolutely find hope in the side characters. The amount of layers that they portray each character of having is absurd for high-schoolers, but it makes for very gripping emotional scenes. I feel like this show has grown in folds since season one and I am very hopeful for future seasons.